Sunday 29 July 2012

Day 3 - London buses are useless.

July 29th

Well we're still here at the Aquatic Centre where we will be staying until Friday when the first track and field events take place.


There's no need  to worry that this is going to be dull however as just as I was writing this it turns out that there is going to be a swim off! For the record this will be added to today's total.


Also as I mentioned in my post for Day 2 I was amazed at just how far had been swam in just one day. Looking back a bit of matchbook maths could have given me a rough idea of what to expect but I'm nothing if not continually surprised by the obvious.


I'd been thinking to use the standard British unit of comparative measurement (London Route-master buses) throughout this but this isn't going to be very meaningful it seems. For instance Day 2's 70,200m is roughly equal to 6,251 bumper to bumper, hard to picture unless the traffic gets really bad.


So after a rethink I've got some different things lined up for the other events but for the Swimming it's going to be point to point across open water.


Which is all a long way of getting to the...

Numbers

So today the athletes contributed


Women total: 30,500m


Men total: 27,100m 


Total total: 57,600m


If we add yesterdays figures to this we get 127,800m


Which is enough to get you from Holy Island in N. Wales all the way across the Irish Sea and straight into Dublin. Mine's a Guinness.


R

You can follow me on Twitter Here: @Le_Paien_Roux

No comments:

Post a Comment