Saturday 4 August 2012

Day 9 - How far? Really? No way.

August 4th

So according to the radio today is Super Saturday, the busiest single day in the entire games. I can't vouch for that as to be honest the numbers were pretty easy to add up today. What I am certain is that I've never heard the phrase "super saturday" in this context before. I suspect the BBC might be getting a little carried away with itself. I've more to say on the topic of it's coverage (which has been to be fair uniformly excellent) but that can wait for another day.

Before we go any further everyone should go and watch this trailer. I have nothing more to add to that other than pretty childish squeals of excitement that would make you worry that I'm about to either pass out or puke.

The numbers continue to be astounding, no two ways about it; you'll see them in full below but to give an idea if we take yesterdays Heptathlete High Jump and add that to today's Pole Vault then they end up about 40cm short of clearing the Petronas Towers.

These towers. Not the Harry Potter charms.
I would have more to say but sadly I've been wrestling my computer into working again so we'll have to live with just the...

Numbers

Swimming: 101,300m
Running: 1,945,500m
Jumping: 1,117.51m
Throwing: 6,646.66m
Total Today: 2,054,564.14m

Which all add up to

Swimming: 493,000m
Running: 2,387,200m
Jumping: 2,923.63m
Throwing: 15,725.46m
Total: 2,898,849.09m

Which is a lot frankly. That there is 258,134 Routemaster buses (if measured bumper to bumper).

See you tomorrow

R

You can follow me on Twitter at @Le_Paien_Roux


No comments:

Post a Comment